Sunday, September 28, 2008

Moab, Arches, and Camping



WARNING: This will be a long post with tons of pictures. I tried to narrow it down to my favorites...but there are still a ton!


This weekend we went down to Moab to go camping for Paul's birthday. We went with my sister Wendy, Spencer, and Roman. After driving down on Friday afternoon and setting everything up we went on a short walk with the girls while we waited for Wendy's family, and then went to dinner in Moab. After we got back from dinner we had a little cake for Paul and sang "Happy Birthday."
Saturday

On Saturday morning we drove over to Arches first thing in the morning so we could hike to delicate arch before it got to hot. Amazingly we convinced the kids to hike to it. Kaylee hiked almost the whole way and Gabby hiked quite a bit of it. After we got back to the car and looked at the map we noticed it was marked as a strenuous 3 mile hike...and they did it!!! The guys (Paul, and Spencer) wanted to hike all the way to under the arch but...we stayed at the overlook and the guys went by themselves since there were dropoffs and steep ledges.
After we got down from delicate arch we were all hot, tired, and hungry. So, we went to Sand Dune Arch where it was cool shady, and yes, sandy. We ate lunch and let the kids play there for a while. They jumped, buried, each other, climbed rocks and walls, and pretty much anything else they could think of, and that was just the "Big" kids (also known as Spencer and Paul). They started digging a hole and wanted to see how deep they could get before they either had to give up, or hit rock. We figure it was about 2-1/2 feet deep when they gave up.




After we left the Sand Dune Arch we headed back to camp. I was dumping sand out shoes, socks, pockets, pants, hair...IT WAS EVERYWHERE! The kids were exhausted but had a blast!

Sunday

For some reason the kids thought that they needed to be up at 6:30 this morning!!! WHY?!? They finally dragged us out of bed and we got going for the day. We got everything packed up, put away, and back in the car. After camp was all taken down, put away, and everything else we headed back to Arches for a few more hikes. At one of the arches I told Kaylee she could take some pictures...so, the picture that is everyone (except Kaylee) is the picture she took. Today we hiked to Tunnel Arch, Pine Tree Arch, North Window, and Double Arch.






6 comments:

Wendy said...

dang I don't know about you, but it must have been a good weekend because I am EXHAUSTED! Spencer and Roman are both upstairs sleeping, and there are piles and piles of camping stuff in my living room! Thanks for letting us mooch! It was so much fun!!!

The Eldredge's said...

Wow that sounds like a fun and exciting and exhausting weekend!! I hope Paul had a good birthday. It looks like he did!!

Miriam said...

Sounds like fun. I need to take my kids there. By the way under your Sunday post you wrote at at instead of up at. Just so you know.
Love ya.

Jordan and Elaine's Family said...

What a blast! I miss Moab. I'm glad you got to go. :)

Weisenbeck Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Weisenbeck Family said...

Hey, it's Andrea (Johnson). I just found your blog through Wendy's. Your girls are so cute. I can't believe so many people have blogs. It is fun to see your cute little family.